August 26th is National Dog Day!
The purpose of National Dog Day is to honor and celebrate dogs, and remind the public of how many need to be rescued each year
- There are many ways to celebrate this day with your dog, such as taking him to the beach or treating him to a new toy
- If you don’t yet have a dog, or are ready to expand your pack, in the spirit of National Dog Day, I hope you’ll adopt your next furry family member from your local shelter or rescue organization
International Dog Day
Ways to Celebrate National Dog Day
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or rescue organization.
Alternatives: Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk or play with a dog, clean cages, or anything else they need help with. Donate blankets, food, and toys to animal welfare organizations.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
Alternative: Write your congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of puppy mills and gas chambers in your state.
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs! Spend the day taking photos of your dog.
Alternative: Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
- Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy… or two… or five.
Alternative: Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
- Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
Alternative: Take your dog to the beach.
- Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
Alternative: Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
- Teach your dog a new trick.